Are you shopping for trench grates for your drainage system? Trench grates are an integral part of Singapore’s sprawling urban landscape. Whether you want to drain surface water on your landscape or liquid waste at a commercial/industrial facility, drain grates come in handy.
Drain covers allow water to flow easily into trench drains and block solid materials that could block the drainage system. The best trench grates easily blend with the rest of the landscape and add natural flair to your property. You can customize the grates for improved curb appeal.
For optimal performance and durability, you need high-quality grate systems. The choice of trench grate materials makes all the difference.
In this post, find out more about the best trench grate materials to improve the functionality of your drainage system.
Cast Iron Trench Grates
Cast iron trench grates have been around for a long time and they’re still popular with property owners in Singapore. Cast iron is an alloy of iron made by reducing iron ore in a blast furnace. The end product contains 2-4% carbon and traces of other metals such as manganese and silicon. Some qualities that make cast iron popular include:
- Hardness, strong impact resistance, and mechanical strength
- Natural corrosion resistance created by the iron oxide coating (rich red-brown patina
- Lightweight grates for easy maintenance
- Top-notch usability in multiple applications, from parking lots to roadways, gas stations, parks, docks, and airports
- Versatile range of cast iron grates in different grades and load ratings
- Ease of customization allows property owners to integrate design features such as logos, unique slots, patterns, and designs
- Sleek and sophisticated appearance for enhanced curb appeal. Cast iron grates easily complement brick or stone
- Ease of maintenance
- Greater vibration-damping compared to steel grates to protect concrete or other construction materials
- Myriad decorative grate options with powder coating and epoxy paint enhance the look of your grates
Natural reinforced Stone Trench Grates
Over the years, more alternatives to metal grates have emerged among them natural stone products. The stone-reinforced trench grates are slip-resistant and blend well into the natural environment. The materials used include natural stone and a small percentage of polymer to strengthen the composition.
Some benefits of naturally reinforced stone trench grates include:
- Greater aesthetic appeal
- Versatile range of exquisite textures, colors, styling/design options
- Rust and corrosion resistance
- Comfortable/safe grate systems because the stone materials don’t absorb a lot of heat compared to metal grates
- Affordability because the stone grates comprise recycled materials, which are cheaper to source
- Enhanced safety through slip-resistance construction
The best trench grate supplier in Singapore uses cutting-edge technology to build high-quality reinforced stone grates. The non-slip grates are ADA compliant and applicable in facilities with different load-bearing needs.
Trench grates are an integral part of Singapore’s sprawling urban landscape
Steel Trench Grates (Stainless and Galvanised)
Steel is renowned for its toughness and durability, making metal an obvious choice for trench grates. The metal is ubiquitous in construction and most supplies in modern structures feature steel elements.
Some benefits of steel trench grates include:
- Easy maintenance because stainless steel is a nonporous material that’s smooth and easy to clean. If hygiene is a major consideration at your property, stainless steel grates are a perfect choice
- Great overall appearance for enhanced curb appeal/aesthetics compared to iron grates. Stainless steel has a modern touch and works easily in multiple types of landscapes or properties
- Ease of customization allowing for different shapes, and slot types
- Lightweight grating systems that are easy to install and maintain
- Cost-savings in the longer term with low maintenance costs
- Versatile applications both inside and outside a property in showers, trench drains, and factories such as breweries, beverage manufacturing, and food processing
Another common type of trench grate material is galvanized steel. To make galvanized steel, a coating of zinc is applied to the metal for added protection and resistance against rusting.
The enhanced protection makes galvanized steel trench grates more durable. The steel grades are also more affordable and don’t require additional treatment before installation.
Fiberglass Trench Grates
Fiberglass trench grates are the latest entrants in the market. With the popularity of fiberglass in the construction industry, more trench grate suppliers now leverage the strength of the materials to build durable grate products. The material is strong but lightweight which makes the fiberglass trench grates easy to install and maintain.
Other qualities of fiberglass trench grates that stand out include:
- Chemical and corrosion resistance
- Cheaper pricing than steel trench grates
- Versatile application of fiberglass trench grates
- Greater strength than plastic trench grates
If you want to install an effective drainage system on your property, these are some of the popular trench grate materials to consider. Before you choose any product, consider the following qualities:
- Load capacity
- Flow rate
- Rust resistance
- Safety standards
- Heat and chemical resistance
- Ease of maintenance
These factors will help you buy the best trench grates for your property. Talk to the best drain grate supplier and compare the products they have before making an order.